Please read our Frequently Asked Questions
1. What do you do?
We design, install and maintain various home automation systems, including but not limited to lighting, heating and security systems, for residential & commercial properties around the UK.
2. Where do you work?
We can carry out work anywhere in the UK. Even though we are a London based company we cover all surrounding home counties around greater London – including, including Surrey. Sussex, Essex, Kent and Hertfordshire.
3. Who do you work with?
Support and Maintenance
1. Can you continue to support my smart system after the warranty has expired?
We can come out to fix your system as and when required or provide proactive maintenance when you opt for one of our client support packages.
2. Why does my smart system need software and firmware updates?
These updates should, as and when they become available, be installed to ensure that your system remains secure and reliable and continues to deliver optimum performance.
3. What does your system recovery service involve?
This is where we can resolve issues with a smart home automation system that was installed by another company – perhaps one that is now defunct or provides unsatisfactory support.
1. Can I expect my smart Wi-Fi network to be constantly reliable?
Yes, as we can guarantee that a smart Wi-Fi system we install in your London home will provide a strong and reliable signal throughout it.
2. Can you install smart Wi-Fi in my home if it doesn’t have any cables installed?
Though we would advocate a cable-based solution wherever it is practically possible, we also offer wireless Wi-Fi systems that remain rock-solid in their signal and fast in their throughput.
3. Could smart Wi-Fi you install in my home even cover its garden room?
Yes – or, indeed, any other remote building, such as a stable, located on your residential site. We can extend smart Wi-Fi installations to cover such buildings, even without needing any cables.
Smart Surround System
1. What are the best speakers?
The best speakers for you will depend on where you would like them to be installed and how you intend to use those speakers.
2. How many speakers does my particular room need?
This, too, depends on how you will use the speakers – but some in-ceiling speakers can suffice for playing background music, while many small-form speakers of this type would suit large spaces.
3. Could you install a surround sound system in my basement?
Yes, especially as that system can work well with a home cinema or theatre space down there. We will custom design your surround sound system to enrich your basement’s audio potential.
Smart Home Security
1. Why can a smart home often be a more secure one, too?
When we thread your CCTV, burglar alarm, lighting system and external sensors through the same smart control system, these linked appliances can work in unison to better secure your home.
2. How could a smart security system protect my home in practice?
If the system detected an intruder in your garden, that system could switch on your lights and hidden speakers to create the illusion that you are in the house even when you aren’t.
3. How could I benefit from having an access control system installed?
With this system, you could – even if you aren’t at the property – check who is there by using your smartphone to see the CCTV view and, if you wish, remotely open the gate.
Smart Home Lighting
1. What is “smart” lighting control?
This is where, rather than simply leaving lighting “on” or “off”, you can set lighting “scenes” by dimming certain lighting circuits while leaving others undimmed.
2. How would I be able to use smart lighting control?
You could do so through using an app, a remote control or, built into or onto a wall of your home, a touch panel – or using your voice or even automating your lighting.
3. Would a “smart” lighting system require me to re-wire my house?
Typically, yes. However, some retro-fit systems would enable smart lighting control to be implemented in a traditionally wired home, if not necessarily all such homes.
Smart Home Installation
1. How could a smart home benefit me?
2. Is a smart home difficult to use?
No – this is a common misconception. When designed and installed properly, a smart home will make it easier and simpler for you to operate various parts of your home.
3. How much would a smart home installation cost me?
This depends heavily on your home’s size and the smart home setup you seek. We advise you to book a consultation where you can specify your requirements for us to cost.
Smart Home Heating
1. Can I control a smart heating system even remotely?
Yes, such as from a smartphone or tablet. Hence, you can opt to turn up your home’s heating to ensure it is just the right temperature for when you arrive at the property.
2. Can smart home heating save me money, too?
Yes, as this technology would enable you to optimise your home’s heating so that it kicks into action only when this is genuinely necessary for the property’s occupants.
3. Can smart home heating be switched on or off on a room-by-room basis?
Yes. This has its uses when, for example, someone in the house favours a particular temperature butsomeone else in the property at the same time prefers a different temperature.
1. Can you install a 4K video system throughout my home?
Yes, as the Crestron-manufactured systems we can install in homes include digital media systems capable of distributing 4K video in multiple rooms of the property.
2. How does a multi-room TV system work?
It works through centralising all audiovisual sources, thereby enabling any room to access any of them. Each TV could show a different source or all TVs could show the same source.
3. How can you enhance the audio experience my TV system offers?
We can do that by installing a slim speaker that is known as a soundbar and features front-left, centre and front-right speakers we can complement by adding surround speakers and an amplifier.
1. What types of media room can you install?
These include home cinemas, home theatre rooms, games rooms, and, for commercial properties, conference rooms. We design each of our media rooms to the client’s specifications.
2. Would an attic be a good place for a home theatre installation?
Potentially, yes. Home theatres that can work brilliantly in attic rooms include projector-based theatres with large screens measuring over a hundred inches and theatres based on flat-panel TVs.
3. Could you install a home cinema or theatre in my basement?
Again, potentially yes – especially as basements tend to lack the same head height issues as attics and there is often an absence of natural light.
Home Cinema Design and Installation
1. How much would a fully fitted cinema room cost?
We would usually recommend that you set aside at least £8,000 for its audiovisual equipment if the room is normal-sized and at least £10,000 for the room fit-out, including the seating and lighting.
2. How much would I need to pay for a cinema room that delivers the best performance?
The bill for this can exceed £500,000 for the audiovisual equipment if the room will be large and over £250,000 for a fit-out including the highest-quality finish and seating for that room.
3. How does a home cinema differ from a media room?
While a home cinema tends to be dedicated to movie-watching, media rooms – which we can also install – are more versatile, as they can also serve as living rooms or open-plan spaces.
1. Couldn’t I just install a home automation system myself?
2. Can you rectify a system that another company or contractor has installed poorly?
Yes. We can perform such “rescues” even for neatly-installed work where the linked devices simply aren’t communicating properly. We can also completely re-install a smart home if necessary.
3. Will certain smart home systems add more value than others to the property?
The answer here depends largely on the home’s existing value. However, in high-value properties, lighting control, media rooms and improved security tend to add the most value.